Register
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya on Athlon 64 X2

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 pm   
. . . .

Nice implementation of Mate 1.18. Good tools in there, menu method is very fresh.
Good selection of packages, clearly a Debian hallmark. Minor item:
Synaptic Package Manager wrote:
W: http://www.openprinting.org/download/pr ... elease.gpg: Signature by key F8897B6F00075648E248B7EC24CBF5474CFD1E2F uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)
You are barking up the wrong tree, Mint; you want it fixed, then go tell Openprinting your concern, don't bother thousands of users about it.

Disks that automount? Not a good idea. When I insert a flash drive, I usually know that I need to verify fsck on it, because of the different implementations of udev, etc. that I've encountered. If you suspect a flash drive is in need of repairs (as when the last distro I used claimed it was safe to remove but it consistently proved that the 'safely removed' device did not have its cached writes committed to disk and thus was dirty when inserted the next time). This version of Mint is NOT a good choice for me, especially when the Disk tools you are offered in Mate cannot stop the distro from automounting the device, but clearly the tool in Mate says it is intended to prevent automounting the device and that means since the tool does not properly stop automounting, you could damage the drive contents further. A false comfort, and between the two distros I've recently used (Devuan 1.0.0 and Mint 18.2), I have already suffered the worst outcome of lost data, on what are my archive devices. Dangerous.

I/O? Slow as molasses. 10.2 megabits per second on a long term transfer of about 26,300 files totaling about 97 Gig. That took almost 10 hours. Transferring from a USB spinning hard disk to a USB flash drive, on the same USB controller. When I did a diff -dr between the same source and destination, that took about 20 hours. Intolerable. When I first transferred the same 97 Gigs to the same USB spinning hard disk a month ago, it took less that 2 1/2 hours on the same system, in the same USB ports. What was different? The distro was PCLinuxOS.

All in all:
I feel that in the end, my files were transferred correctly, but this operation should have NEVER have been needed, shouldn't have taken as long as it took. Probably a great distro on bleeding edge hardware, but for me and my hardware, other distros run circles around this beast.

6 out of 10 mmmna happygrins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 pm   
. . . .

And that 64 bit installed failed. A later 32 bit version install also failed the same way. Just an issue in how Mate handles dirty filesystems.

I inserted my archive flash drive, it always pops open (automounted no matter what I reconfigure Mate to do), I believe I properly used it once in Mint 18.2 but after later boots, it only opens as read only, yet I got no messages that it was read only, no message why. Thats not very helpful to a desktop user.

I opened a console, did su, located and unmounted the device, ran fsck -p as root, and to my surprise, the filesystem on it it was marked dirty. The fsck fixed it but:
Problem #1: at the console, I remounted the repaired device and Mate still insisted read only. Repeated several fsck attempts, but only the first fsck session said dirty. Conclusion: Mate didn't update it's records of my device filesystem being corrected from being dirty. I even tried a full reboot, got no joy. Posted in their forums for assistance, was told to repartition and reformat the device, which I ultimately had to do from within the Mate Disks tool, nothing worked as root, and then I could use the device. I'm almost totally certain the Mate desktop environment caused the filesystem to be dirty. Nope, not gonna do a 'repartition and reformat' every time Mate screws up - root repairs MUST be acknowledged by Mate.
Problem #2: sometimes I'll see only eject in the context menu, sometimes I get safely remove. No explanation why. Conclusion: When and IF a filesystem is marked as dirty, whatever detection that clearly happend to make it mount as read only should also trigger a message onscreen telling me, at the VERY least, the device is marked read only, and preferably should also tell me to check and repair the filesystem using appropriate command line tools. Just to be 'helpful'.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:14 pm   
Linux Guru

Hmm, I don't think that I have the time to debug Mate automount issues. Good thing I have not used the latest release of Linux Mint 18.2 with Mate; based on your information, I'm not likely to go there either unless some circumstances in my every day work change and lead me into testing this kind of issue - that's pretty unlikely right now!

MX-16.1 has been my recent choice for something to simply use without constant maintenance or debugging activity.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 pm   
. . . .

To me, the issue is the Mate (not just the Mint implementation of Mate) automount process, when I remount it in any fashion, isn't rereading the mount status, yet the icon appears and disappears on the Mate desktop with no troubles, so the event has been noticed by ... udev?

Aside from the trust issue on removable devices, I really like Mate. Mint had a large reputation for being a solid Mate environment.

Haven't yet had any read only issues with Ubuntu Mate16.04.3. Ubuntu Mate not booting is a different issue.