Register
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 12:49 am

Point Linux 3.2 AMD64

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:37 am   
. . . .

Strong installer, few issues seen while using installer repeatedly over the past few weeks.

Seems to install a capable desktop (I chose Mate desktop).

Pros: Debian based.

Cons: Can't seem to get repositories to refresh in less than a few hours; cannot register in the forums due to their banning of proclaimed spammers using my IP (dynamic), which forum member wonder why the forums aren't used (me: can anyone register at all?) Does not configure BCM4318, I have to use ethernet and a client adapter.

Comment: Skip this one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am   
. . . .

I just came back to this distro.

A week or more after posting (above) about the repos not refreshing, I tested and determined that my wifi client adapter was not able to handle IPV6 in any manner. I've since changed to a different client adapter and now the repos refresh normally.

After a few days of using Point Linux 3.2 for AMD 64, I see that it configures nearly everything perfectly. Naturally, the Broadcom wifi card isn't working, but scarcely 20% of the distros will configure it in any manner, despite it being nearly a decade old. So much wasted energy getting that Broadcom running, I doubt I'll ever again knowingly own their stuff.

Point Linux chose the correct graphics card to configure for X (that is a modern challenge), X/Mate has good screen resolution (1680x1050, at the moment), no visible boot issues, media readers and sound work as expected. And the repos refresh. I said that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am   
. . . .

Ok, so I wanted to register in their forums. No joy.

I hope that if you wish to register, you aren't using a dynamic IP address:
Point Linux Forums - Registration wrote:
Your IP 73.126.yyy.zzz has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.ahbl.org/lktool?lookup=73.126.yyy.zzz.
An entry on the blacklist may have several reasons:
1. You are a well-known spammer.
2. Last time a well-known spammer was using the dynamic IP address which you got from your ISP (Internet Service Provider), your e-mail address or the username you have choosen.
3. Your ISP is well-known for a lot of spamming customers and is not fighting against spammers enough.
I've held this dynamic IP address for months, I've never knowingly contacted them and this protection mechanism really shouldn't be in force right now. Hint: If you do stuff like this on your website, reacting to a spammer, consider what this does to the next guy to use that IP address. The fairest administration would check the logs to see if the IP address is still persisting in misconduct and take steps to enable formerly disabled addresses. Is that too much work? Well, it is a lot of work for me to get a different IP address, based on someone else causing issues.

Following the instructions given, the ABHL lookup fails:
ABHL wrote:
This topic does not exist yet

You've followed a link to a topic that doesn't exist yet. If permissions allow, you may create it by clicking on “Create this page”.

I'll try contacting the administrators, but have little faith.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 pm   
. . . .

Wanted to pop in with a quick observation.

I've stopped using PointLinux 3.2

Very tight distribution, their implementation of Mate is simple and feels rather unmolested. Debian based. Loved it very much.

I've stopped using PointLinux because I had a moderate problem but one which I could work around.

As mentioned above, I tried to join the forums so I could ask questions. I cannot join, because they use an IP address filter and for some reason, both of my dynamic IP addresses are blocked from joining. Their message claims something about possibly being a known spammer, but Comcast reuses IP addresses, my account is using dynamically assigned IP addresses, and this is the second Comcast IP address which the forum software has rejected, for me.

Just for curiosity's sake, I checked their member list, which, oddly, is NOT protected by member login. Anyone can see their member list. The most recent join took place in 2015, over 3 years ago.

If someone knows an admin at PointLinux forums, let them know that their IP software apparently isn't letting ANYONE join. Maybe there is a reason for preventing EVERYONE from joining the forum, but it isn't explained where I've looked.

On to Ubuntu Mate for AMD64.

2018 04 17: Fixed a typo.

Last edited by mmmna on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:16 pm   
Linux Guru

Sounds to me like the admins really just don't care about thier forums.

The forums also aren't served https. I just tried to sign up and there is no https page being served. So admins REALLY don't care about their forums.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:31 pm   
Linux Guru

Doesn't sound like there is a very friendly or active user community for this distro, unlike two of my favorites: MX and antiX, both of which have helpful forum contributors who will share readily and explain things in simple terms - and attempt to provide reasonable documentation too!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 pm   
. . . .

Researching user opinions on Distrowatch regarding pointlinux, many users claim the distro is abandoned as of 3.2, messages about abandoning seen posted at Distrowatch in December 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm   
Linux Guru

I'll abandon any consideration of looking into it then; thanks!

Profile WWW YIM