Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Download Manager/converter

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:28 am   
Linux Guru

Hi Folks, I'm back again with some questions ....
I've been looking around for a download manager/converter that will allow me to download from You Tube, Facebook, as well as from sites that aren't affiliated with the above. I'd like to be able to download on both of my OS's, Debian 8 Linux and Win 10, so that if I lose one, I've still got a backup on the other. I want to be able to convert audios to MP3 and videos to MP4. AND, it has to be simple for this old goat ..... I've forgotten most of the stuff that you guys have taught me over the years, since I just surf the net and watch 50's cowboy movies on You Tube anymore .... but Debian has been kind to me so far, - I think this is the longest time a Linux OS has lasted for me, so no complaints from me ;>). You know me, I was the guy that changed Linux OS's every month or two, because I somehow screwed mine up and didn't know how to repair it. All I do now is upgrade every so often and stay away from anything else!

I've looked at a couple on Firefox add-ons but when I install them, they don't seem to work when I click on the buttons, so that makes me thing they are probably virus-type apps, malware, etc.. Now I have to see if I can remove them without messing up my OS's.

Any ideas/recommendations?
THX, JP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 pm   
Linux Guru

@JP: Check out this link and see if any of the recommendations there are helpful to you:
Make Use Of: Apps to convert audio and video files in Linux

Some of them work on multiple platforms, so check and see what's easy to use for you. I don't have any particular experience with them, so this was more of an item I found in a search as opposed to something I have personal experience using.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:07 am   
Linux Guru

masinick wrote:
@JP: Check out this link and see if any of the recommendations there are helpful to you:

Some of them work on multiple platforms, so check and see what's easy to use for you. I don't have any particular experience with them, so this was more of an item I found in a search as opposed to something I have personal experience using.

Thanks Brian :D I haven't kept up with the LUG for a long while, like I said above, I just surf, etc. anymore. Hope all is well with everyone, y'all take care ....... and I'll see what that link can do for me. :super:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm   
Linux Guru

JP wrote:
masinick wrote:

Thanks Brian :D I haven't kept up with the LUG for a long while, like I said above, I just surf, etc. anymore. Hope all is well with everyone, y'all take care ....... and I'll see what that link can do for me. :super:

I hope that you find the information useful JP!

Beginning of :offtopic:

Could it be that you've had a "role" in sending white to our region? Until this week, we'd had very little of it, just a hint here and there. Yesterday, while "mild" by either upper Michigan standards - especially the Keweenaw Peninsula, or northern New England, especially the White Mountains near Mount Washington, but significant for the southeastern area around Metro Detroit, we had 4-7" of snow yesterday, which reminded Michigan drivers what winter can be like. Northern Michigan typically gets over 100" of snow in many areas, and the area near Houghton gets Lake Superior "lake effect" snow - even more than the cities in northern New York get affected by Lake Ontario! Houghton, which is at the base of that sharply pointed peninsula in the western Upper Peninsula.

http://www.mtu.edu/alumni/favorites/snowfall/ from my Alma Mater has an article about snowfall, and it specifically mentions my senior year at MTU, when: "The record-high seasonal total—a whopping 355.90 inches—came in the winter of 1978–79."
The past few years have been well below what we had when I went there: 1975-76: 259.2", 1976-77: 234.8", 1977-78: 234.7", and 1978-79: 355.9"! They are not even close to these numbers over the past five years. The last two "biggies" that approached what we had in 78-79 were in 2000-2001: 303.6" and 1995-96: 328.2". December 1978 was a monthly record - that was my senior year. They had more in one month, December 1978—118.90", than we EVER get around where I live now, and that's equal to or greater than the typical snowfall we'd see in an ENTIRE season in Concord, NH, where I previously lived.

If you don't get that kind of snowfall, be glad! They were absolutely TERRIFIC about dealing with it - the best snowplow crews in the world, in my opinion, but I'm glad not to have to face that every winter! Summers in northern Michigan are absolutely beautiful though, and the snow, as long as you don't have to drive far in it, :lol: can also be a thing of beauty.

End of :offtopic:

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 am   
. . . .

JP, a handy trick I'm happy with: I've decided to use Flashpeak-Slimjet (now known as Slimjet) as my browser. Slimjet is cut from Google Chrome, and fully supports the Chrome web store. In the Chrome store, I've taken a liking to KeepVid and Video Downloader professional for acquiring stuff for offline perusal. Slimjet gives you one browser for all 3 platforms, and those programs work in Slimjet on Linux, as well as working in my Chromebooks default ChromeOS/Chrome browser. Supposedly, the 2 programs will work in Chrome and Slimjet on any platform.

As for command line, I strongly recommend youtube-dl. Also supports 3 platforms.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:05 pm   
Linux Guru

Brian, we've only had a couple of 'dustings' about 1/2" each time ..... we left the rest for you hardy Michiganders, so you can work your way toward beating that 29' record! :lol: :rofl: :super:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:20 pm   
Linux Guru

mmmna wrote:
JP, a handy trick I'm happy with: I've decided to use Flashpeak-Slimjet (now known as Slimjet) as my browser. Slimjet is cut from Google Chrome, and fully supports the Chrome web store. In the Chrome store, I've taken a liking to KeepVid and Video Downloader professional for acquiring stuff for offline perusal. Slimjet gives you one browser for all 3 platforms, and those programs work in Slimjet on Linux, as well as working in my Chromebooks default ChromeOS/Chrome browser. Supposedly, the 2 programs will work in Chrome and Slimjet on any platform.

As for command line, I strongly recommend youtube-dl. Also supports 3 platforms.

Being the 'old goat' that I am, I haven't used anything but Firefox for the last few years ...... and I've NEVER tried Chrome! Is it any better that FF? I just figured that if it had anything to do with Google, it would have more spy programs than FF, so I didn't bother with it, even tho I have several g-mail accounts ;>). I'll take a look at it now, since you've recommended slimjet, and see what I can see. First, I've got some internet searching to do .... Win 10 upgraded and screwed up my whole lappy .... I've got to redo the grub boot, find out how to block Win updates w/o my permission, see if there's any way to rescue my desktop pic, etc. ..... ad nauseum!
Thanks! JP