Register
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Going for Debian 9

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 am   
Linux Guru

I'm going to install Debian 9 on the E7440 in place of Debian 8. For some reason Debian 8 no longer recognizes my root password (I use root very seldom, so I wrote my p/w down in a tablet so I wouldn't forget it!), and with all the trouble of trying to re-do the root password, I figure I might as well upgrade to Deb 9 instead. I've looked at the "live" image w/KDE, and it seems they are having lots of trouble/problems, so I thought I'd ask if any of the Debian users have a recommendation as to which install would be the best for me. I can still do a little bit of the terminal stuff, I'd still use nano for my editor, I'd like to get KDE if it's stable enuff, I fully intend to enable sudo this time - I didn't do that before, and I regret it now!

I mostly use my laptop for forums about homebrewing, chickens, Linux, You Tube vids, emails etc.

I believe this is a 64 bit system, I usually use FireFox instead of the debranded ones (for the add-ons like adblock, etc.), so this will make me happy
Quote:
Firefox and Thunderbird return to Debian with the release of "Stretch", and replace their debranded versions Iceweasel and Icedove, which were present in the archive for more than 10 years.
and since adding an SS hard drive, I have plenty of space for a bigger OS, even tho it will probably make the system run slower. I'm hoping there's an easier way of getting rid of ads and such by now, rather than editing the /etc/hosts file, those lists take up a lot of pages :doh: -- but I haven't looked into that yet.
Any Ideas??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am   
Linux Guru

I will always vote for a netinstall. Get what you want, and nothing more since you do it yourself. Takes a bit longer, but IMO it's worth it every time (apt install kde-plasma-desktop gets a very basic KDE Plasma up and running with sddm), then I personally purge sddm and switch to lightdm (I also use autologin so don't care that sddm is much prettier).

As for ads, look into umatrix. Simple to use, simple to understand, but surprisingly powerful. I use it on chromium, chrome, and firefox. IMO, easier to use than ublock origin, but just as powerful.

BTW, I've been working on really learning how to set up pinning, so I have a a really nice setup I did on my dad's laptop that has stretch, buster, sid, and experimental all enabled, but pins so that stretch-backports is the primary repo, with stretch taking secondary. I've pinned libreoffice to install the fresh from any repository that it's in (5.3 currently) and have firefox, thunderbird and chromium pinned to sid to always get the latest stable release quickly after it comes out. If you want to set yours up like that when you get upgraded to 9, I can assist if you'd like.

Wildmage - i5-5300U/16G/1TB SSD/8265/Deb 10
Dretch - i5-3380M/16G/480 SSD/7260/Arch
Succubus - i5-3360M/8G/480 SSD/6205/q4os
Morgh - N3450/4G/32 eMMC/QCA9377/Fed 27
Chromium - N2940/4G/16 eMMC/7260/GalliumOS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 am   
Linux Guru

Thanks Tim,

I will have to look over the different ones to see which I would like to go with. I've never had much success with building my own, so it will be a pre-built version.

I'll look to see if I can get a stripped-down (light) KDE install, as the full version will most likely have a lot more apps than I need ;>). If I can't get a stripped-down KDE version, I'll just have to either install a standard version and put KDE on it via Synaptic, OR, install the full KDE version and then remove any apps I don't want ..... but then I might end up removing some dependencies that will mess up the whole install (I've done that before!). I don't need a lot, as I mentioned above, since I don't do a whole lot of computer stuff - I'd just like to be able to install whatever I want in the future, with Synaptic or whatever is good these days.

I've really enjoyed the Deb 8, with no problems until I found today that it won't recognize my root password. It has worked fine until today, so I don't know what I might have done to mess it up, but I guess I did it!

I'll let you know when I get one d/l'ed and installed - gonna be on a USB, since this has no disk player.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am   
Linux Guru

Hi guys, I don't know if either of you have experimented at all with Devuan, but it's a very nice Debian fork that had been in the works for a couple of years - at least since the time that Debian 8 first came out - and that was a while ago.

According to DistroWatch: "Devuan GNU+Linux is a Linux distribution forked from Debian in 2015. The project's primary goal is to provide a variant of Debian without the complexities and dependencies of systemd, an init system and services manager originally developed by Red Hat and later adopted by most other Linux distributions. Devuan's initial beta release was made available in April 2016, together with an upgrade path from Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" and a possibility to switch to Devuan from Debian 8.0 "Jessie". The distribution adopted Xfce as its default desktop."

• 2017-05-25: Distribution Release: Devuan GNU+Linux 1.0.0
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Devuan

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:53 pm   
Linux Guru

I played with it when it was first in testing. At this point, I really see no reason to touch it. It's FAR FAR FAR behind Stretch in terms of kernel versions and packages with no upgrade to the next version that I've heard of on the horizon, so is of less than no interest to me. Anything that isn't an enterprise OS and is MORE out of date than Debian stable is, IMO, useless.

Wildmage - i5-5300U/16G/1TB SSD/8265/Deb 10
Dretch - i5-3380M/16G/480 SSD/7260/Arch
Succubus - i5-3360M/8G/480 SSD/6205/q4os
Morgh - N3450/4G/32 eMMC/QCA9377/Fed 27
Chromium - N2940/4G/16 eMMC/7260/GalliumOS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:13 am   
. . . .

tlmiller is spot on: Devuan 1.0.0 as of 2017 07 27 is 3.16.0-4-amd64 for my Athlon 64 X2, updated hours ago.

Debian is likely a better choice, and once I figure out how to get a Debian to go online with my desktop bastion of Broadcomness using a BCM4318, and get Debian running repos that suit my tastes, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Since Devuan was able to get the drivers configured, I'd venture Debian could also.

Don't get me wrong, Devuan is nice, but rather bland when using stock repos. I'm trying to give Devuan time to grow without risking my computing neck, so the most adventurous I've gone was to add Mate as a desktop, and they are still at Mate 1.8, circa 2014 with Mate 1.18 on the way. So, Devuan is ... ahhh ... very conservative.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 pm   
Linux Guru

Devuan seemed to take forever to go from their announcement to the first release, and now it's way behind and I haven't seen a single patch release, minor release, and rare software updates because it's based on Debian 8; I wonder if it would fail if it were switched to backing against Debian 9. It might, but it might also be "fun" to experiment. Alas, those days are mostly in the past.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:39 am   
. . . .

JP:

In regards controlling how a browser blocks advertisements, I'm happy with Slimjet browser, which has built-in ad blocking. The blocking is rule based and by default uses the Easylist filters of AdBlock Plus, and can add many more publically available AdBlock Plus rules (and you can write custom rules).

Based on Chrome but stripped of the entrenched Google hooks, I like how Slimjet works. Advertisements are as well controlled as when I last used Firefox with AdBlock Plus, which was whatever was current about March 2017.

Sometimes, though, the etc.hosts list is a better method.

My Slimjet is just a zip file which contains a folder that gets extracted to the folder of of your choice, then you run a script file and there you go. Dependencies? IIRC, no, the Slimjet executables are supposedly static compiled, and for the moment, Flash is built in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:34 am   
Linux Guru

Just to let you know, I never did accomplish the Deb 9 install, ran into too many problems along the way, besides having other projects (read 'honey-do's') in the works, so I'm still with Deb 8, and I guess that's where I'll stay .... until I buy another lappy a few years from now!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm   
Linux Guru

@JP: That's OK; as long as things still work, you should be fine. By the way, do you have sudo installed? Even if you cannot login directly as root, you may be able to install and perform updates using sudo, providing the password from your regular login account, as long as sudo was previously set up.

There are also ways to resolve password issues, but that may be something left alone so that you have a working system. Also, unless there are security related issues to your packages, you can leave most of the current system intact to increase the chances that things continue to work.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:36 am   
. . . .

JP wrote:
I'm going to install Debian 9 on the E7440 in place of Debian 8. For some reason Debian 8 no longer recognizes my root password (I use root very seldom, so I wrote my p/w down in a tablet so I wouldn't forget it!), and with all the trouble of trying to re-do the root password, I figure I might as well upgrade to Deb 9 instead. I've looked at the "live" image w/KDE

Right there, you had a great opportunity to kill the bad root password.
Boot the live session, mount the drive/partition for the installed Debian 8 OS.
Edit /etc/password. Root having a password at all is indicated here, in /etc/passwd:
Code:
[email protected]:~$ cat /debian8_drive/etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Delete the x, save the file with correct permissions, no more asking for a root password.
Then reboot into that installed Debian 8, open a console, sudo bash, enter sudo password (normal user password), then at the new root console prompt type passwd and enter the new password for root.

Simple, now that I've done this a dozen times!