Register
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Open Office

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:28 am   
Linux Guru

http://www.openoffice.org/
OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.

as mentioned elsewhere

100,000,000 downloads

On October 28th. 2009, the one hundred millionth person clicked on the Download OpenOffice.org button since version 3.0 of the software was announced just over one year ago.

OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 RC1 / Dev m7 Snapshot / 3.1.1 Final
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... dows.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 am   
. . . .

Starting to see some issues with support for M$ formats.... tweaked me for a minute, but then I decided to give in to OO formats.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:50 am   

Yeah the support for MS formats has never been good, and the new formats in office 2007 compounded the issue. Can't blame OO for not supporting proprietary formats properly, but they are the "standard" in industry unfortunately (although I see a lot more people converting their documents to PDFs instead of just sending .doc/.docx files nowdays which is nice).

A couple of my colleagues use OO and are always sending me files saved as .xls / .doc / .ppt and they're always screwed up and I have to tell them to send it to me as a PDF instead. Perhaps someday we'll see open document formats used more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 pm   
Linux Guru

See http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25240 and http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/3.2/ for OpenOffice 3.2 information.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm   
Linux Guru

Interesting

Quote:
OpenOffice.org 3.2 has made further strides in compliance with ODF 1.2, including closer conformance to OASIS ODFF/OpenFormula specifications.

* As OpenOffice.org 3.2 currently requires a superset of the ODF 1.2 specification, the software now warns users when ODF 1.2 Extended features have been used.
* The document integrity check now proves whether an ODF document conforms to the ODF specification (this mainly affects ODF 1.2 documents). If an inconsistency is found, the document is treated as a broken one, and OpenOffice.org offers to repair the document.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:53 pm   
Linux Guru

Interesting indeed!

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:56 pm   
Linux Guru

https://www.libreoffice.org - now at Version 5.3, may be one reason why we don't talk about Open Office as often.

www.openoffice.org remains the site of Open Office, currently in Release 4.1.3.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:07 am   
Advanced Member

Most distros come with the libreoffice, so that's what I presently use. As I don't interact with others using documents, I just stick to the open document formats. A book editor told me that using ".rtf" formatting was perfectly fine for sending a letter to the editor of a newspaper.

That said, on my dual boot Windows partition, I always install OpenOffice. Way back in the day, I actually purchased the "Star Office Suite". Open Office always seems to be just a more crisp look to me. On a couple of occasions, I was able to dazzle a Windows user by steering them to Open Office instead of paying for the MS product.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm   
Linux Guru

Pet3M0ss wrote:
Most distros come with the libreoffice, so that's what I presently use. As I don't interact with others using documents, I just stick to the open document formats. A book editor told me that using ".rtf" formatting was perfectly fine for sending a letter to the editor of a newspaper.

Libre Office is indeed much more common in recent generations of distributions. Prior to the introduction of Libre Office and the split from Open Office, the common office application included in most full-featured distributions was Open Office.

Pet3M0ss wrote:
That said, on my dual boot Windows partition, I always install OpenOffice. Way back in the day, I actually purchased the "Star Office Suite". Open Office always seems to be just a more crisp look to me. On a couple of occasions, I was able to dazzle a Windows user by steering them to Open Office instead of paying for the MS product.

I have installed Open Office in the past on Windows partitions, and years ago, I used Windows and Linux side-by-side with nearly a dozen distinct partitions. Before Open Office was "branded", Star Office was a commercially available product, which could be purchased across multiple platforms. When Sun Microsystems acquired the rights to Star Office, they eventually split the freely licensed modules within Star Office from the proprietary licensed modules and created a new version, constructed from entirely open licensed software, and that's when Open Office appeared. Around the time that Oracle acquired Sun Microsystems - and Open Office, many developers became concerned that Oracle would not keep the software "open". That, and the desire to produce more frequent updates, and some "behind the scenes" squabbles led to the creation of Libre Office.

As it turned out, Oracle (and IBM, along with a few other contributors), had no interest in locking down Open Office, so they found a neutral "home" for the software. Also, some people were concerned about the "restrictions" of the GNU GPL (General Public License) would restrict them from combining their own commercial implementations of software with the "free source code" versions of software, and that's another reason why Open Office decided to use the Apache license.

According to the Wikipedia:

"OpenOffice.org (OOo), a discontinued open-source office software suite, originally based on StarOffice
Apache OpenOffice (AOO), a derivative of OOo by the Apache Software Foundation, with contribution from IBM Lotus Symphony

Other derivatives of OOo:
LibreOffice, an actively developed derivative of OOo by The Document Foundation
NeoOffice, a macOS-specific commercial derivative of OOo by Planamesa Software
StarOffice, a discontinued commercial proprietary office suite acquired by Sun Microsystems (briefly renamed Oracle Open Office after Oracle acquired Sun)"

These days there are other office suites as well, and both the KDE and GNOME desktops also have varying degrees of "Office Suites". They are not as functionally complete as Libre Office and Open Office, but they are options. Android and iOS now offer alternative office suites as well, and Google (and their Alphabet parent) offer alternatives such as Google Drive - containing Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, etc. Google now has G Suite, offering these services free to consumers, and licensed versions for business.

So there are a lot of office alternatives on virtually every kind of "platform" that we use.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 pm   
. . . .

Pet3M0ss wrote:

Amen to all of that. Star Office 5.0 was where I tossed Microsoft Office.

I still have rtf format copies of older resumes. Recently learned there were several versions of RTF.

Microsoft: "We do ALL we can do to get you to buy it again". I've told others about OpenOffice and Libre Office, so far, I'm at about 66% of my users are freed from the Microsoft money pit.