Register
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 12:58 am

Calibre eBook reader

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 am   
Linux Guru

Many of us are hoping for an eBook reader under the tree. A Kindle, a Nook, or perhaps just an Android device that runs eBook software. But if you don't get the gadget of your choice, or if you want to create content to fill one, you'll find plenty of eBook software for Linux as well as open source software to publish your own. The best of the lot? Calibre, a one stop solution for all your e-book needs.

I didn't coin that term for Calibre — that's their motto. How accurate is it? Very. Calibre handles library management, format conversion, syncing to your device, and more. Oh, and it also lets you read your books too. Nice, eh? Read the rest at

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/39 ... th-calibre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:26 pm   
Advanced Member

Thanks for the tip, melloe.

I put a Kindle under the tree for my wife ;)

The price reached $139 (WiFi connection), and I could not resist. My son bought a case for it that contains a slide up LED for reading in the dark. The Kindle screen is easy on the eyes (I guess because it's not backlit). With a WiFi connection and the little keyboard, you can do some simple internet tasks, too.

Now to learn how to use Calibre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:56 pm   
Linux Guru

My pleasure

I am not into mobile stuff at all, but the hardware side of it interests me. Not enough to purchase one, however...just study from afar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 pm   
. . . .

Nice to know about Calibre, thanks.

Pet3M0ss wrote:
The price reached $139 (WiFi connection), and I could not resist

I could still resist. I still use my EeePC 900A netbook - I surf with it, it has WiFi, with Calibre I could read ebooks (if I had any), I can store, manipulate and retrieve my whole MP3 library, I watch streaming video.... in my view there is just a world of difference and my wife only paid $199 for mine 2 years ago. I guess I still don't understand the attraction of paying so much for an ebook reader, a dedicated single purpose device less that has than half of the functionality of a netbook.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 am   
Advanced Member

I fully understand your viewpoint, mmmna. Reading a book on the Kindle seems more soothing to the eyes than reading it off a netbook screen. Regardless of how sunlight hits the screen, there is no bleaching out sensation that sends my hands to adjust the screen light as with a laptop. One just starts reading and gets lost in the story like you do when you are reading a book or newsprint. Lacks functionality of a netbook, but aren't smart phones stealing some of the need for netbooks?? I live in the boonies, so smart phones and wifi netbooks aren't very connective.

It's still a new toy that needs exploring. Hopefully, using Calibre, I can expand my use of the Kindle. Would really like to get a few of my cheat code collections onto the thing cause it will do word searches which may make it easier to get help. Who knows??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:50 am   
. . . .

Ok, there is THAT difference: the E-ink display makes for a much better monochrome display in full sunlight compared to my color LCD, in full sunlight.

Cheat code collections.... Wiki & HTML could make a neat format for that, and control-F in Firefox is decent. Just saying.

I like the way the Kindle looks, I like that it is WiFi, thin, and many other things, but the Netbook form factor seems to just make so much more sense.