Register
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:06 am

Firefox 57

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:27 pm   
Linux Guru

Mozilla Firefox is documented on the Mozilla Web site at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/firefo ... etter-now/ discusses Firefox 54 and how it is improving.

The real interesting news though is about a version of Firefox being worked on now, and planned to be released in November, Firefox 57. CNET has a long article about it:
https://www.cnet.com/special-reports/mo ... le-chrome/

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:40 pm   
Linux Guru

By the way, until Firefox 57 makes it out the door, Firefox releases from 52 forward are looking better and better; Firefox 55, the current version, is running as well as any Firefox version in quite some time and the Firefox Nightly images are working very well these days! :-)

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:43 pm   
. . . .

Noticed the installed Firefox (v54) which I'm using at the moment is a tad faster than the version I used months ago when I decided to switch to Slimjet. Good thing, because the Firefox trend wasn't looking too pretty.

The cnet article hints:
CNet wrote:
But Firefox 57 could be the version that gets you thinking about returning — and maybe about saving the web, too.
Wow, it's going to drop Flash, force simpler HTML5 implementations, it will mandate page caching and .... the rest of the list I never bothered to complie which would make me feel like there is hope for users?

No, more likely, reading from prevalent software development history, there will be massive compatibility issues with the extensions we use.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 pm   
Linux Guru

And 55's faster than 54 (by a small margin).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:06 pm   
Linux Guru

mmmna wrote:
Noticed the installed Firefox (v54) which I'm using at the moment is a tad faster than the version I used months ago when I decided to switch to Slimjet. Good thing, because the Firefox trend wasn't looking too pretty.

No, more likely, reading from prevalent software development history, there will be massive compatibility issues with the extensions we use.

There is indeed a risk that there could be significant changes in the way in which Firefox extensions work. Firefox has been working with extension creators for some time to make them aware of changes, and makes Nightly, Alpha, Beta, and other test images available so that when Firefox 57 is released, at least some of the extensions will work. Whether a particular developer chooses to make their extensions work with Firefox 57 is up to them. I do believe that there will be a LOT of extensions that do work, but when day 1 of Firefox 57 is available, it's likely that there will be some further changes needed - or different extensions to use in place of the previous ones.

Personally I do not use very many extensions, so I am not particularly concerned about it. The speed and the new feature set will be sufficient for my personal needs, but that's something that each person has to evaluate for themselves. Besides improved speed, fewer "phone home" components, like the numerous ones in Google Chrome, will be a significant advantage to some people. If nothing else, Mozilla is interested in software freedoms, and they are taking significant action in response to the areas they lost sight of, and are doing a lot to help shape the future "browser vision", instead of leaving it only to the whims of Google (Alphabet).

To me, whether we use Firefox or not, that's a good thing.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:27 pm   
Linux Guru

I've been using the Firefox images not only with my laptop Linux systems, but also with my most recent phone, the MOTO G5 Plus.

On this system, I purchased it in an "unlocked" state, so I was able to install real Android software without a lot of vendor modifications. If I have any Verizon apps at all, they're only for bill payment convenience or contacting VZW, but I doubt that I installed ANY of them.

So I think I had Google Chrome in the initial system and I use it occasionally, but I have Firefox Focus - a mobile version of Firefox that doesn't preserve or save any details. As a result, I sometimes have to enter login details, but for just pulling up an information page, it's faster than many other mobile browsers I've used. I've also installed Firefox Nightly and detected a few issues in development, but it works well in most daily builds. The released mobile edition of Firefox is the most reliable and usable every day version, but it retains more cached information unless you explicitly tell it to remove it; but it performs well and does what it's asked; I like all three versions as a result.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:34 pm   
Linux Guru

I've been using firefox stable more and more recently. Been swapping some of my add-ins for ones that are firefox-57 ready, and if umatrix and lastpass can get firefox 57 ready before the release, I seriously would be willing to reconsider going back to Firefox. While 55.0.3 isn't necessarily faster than Chrome/Chromium, or even quite AS fast, it's usably fast, and I can function easily with 1/2 dozen to a dozen tabls without it slowing to a crawl (I rarely have more than a dozen due to my simply inability to remember what's open when it gets that many).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 pm   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
I've been using firefox stable more and more recently. Been swapping some of my add-ins for ones that are firefox-57 ready, and if umatrix and lastpass can get firefox 57 ready before the release, I seriously would be willing to reconsider going back to Firefox. While 55.0.3 isn't necessarily faster than Chrome/Chromium, or even quite AS fast, it's usably fast, and I can function easily with 1/2 dozen to a dozen tabls without it slowing to a crawl (I rarely have more than a dozen due to my simply inability to remember what's open when it gets that many).

Wow! A DOZEN tabs! You have a better memory than I do if you can get anywhere near remembering that many! I typically operate with just a few tabs - 1-2 are the usual, but I'll get up to 3-4 max, whether using IE at work, or Chrome, Firefox, or Seamonkey at home. Anything over 4 tabs and I'm either system memory or PERSONAL memory CHALLENGED! (LOL)

Now that I have my MOTO G5 Plus phone working well, I can report that:

1) I am happy with it.
2) I don't have a lot of bloatware, either from VZW or any other source.
3) I use either Firefox or Firefox-Nightly on the mobile device.

Firefox Nightly sometimes has stability issues, but it IS a nightly build. I rarely, however, have any issues with stability of the regular Firefox builds. On the phone, Firefox seems a bit quicker to me than Google Chrome, though not by a huge amount.

I see even less difference on my Dell Inspiron 5558.

At work, I can use either Google Chrome - looks like I have Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit), IE 11.0.9600.18738, a.k.a, Version 11.0.44 (KB402552) - which gets periodically updated with automated system changes, or Firefox ESR 45.5.1, all company installed/updated according to their schedule. I have a Dell Latitude E7450 in the office.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:07 pm   
Linux Guru

Firefox Quantum information

CNET has an article that discusses the benefits and also the changes and potential impact to those who prefer previous Firefox technology, particularly add ons.

Digital Trends has their own take on Firefox Quantum.

I've been using Firefox Nightly on my phone as well. When the Quantum technology was first appearing, the frequency of browser failures in Nightly went up, but it has been improving quite a bit.
At this point Firefox "seems" to be faster on the phone than Google Chrome, and it has been reliable enough that I have been using it most of the time.

On my Linux systems I have been predominantly using Firefox 55, and that has been stable and regularly improving. I do not use a lot of plugins so I am not expecting a lot of negative usage scenarios, and since I've used both the released versions, the Beta, and the Nightly variations, I've seen the progress and improvements. Though still 1-2 releases away, what's currently building is already a significant improvement in speed and it has been regularly improving in stability as well each step toward the November release.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm   
. . . .

Extensions and add-ons are great, I'm a fan when these work as expected, but lets get the concept ironed out, lets get the core back to being a rocket, and, with apologies to the users because the core is more important than the remainder. I hate to say that, because of the invested interests of the extension creators. It is sad but necessary.

As much as I'm a fan of the Firefox of legend (say, before 5.0), later releases just weren't interesting me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:56 pm   
Linux Guru

I'm finding a renewed interest in Firefox for a couple of reasons:

1. They have a Firefox Focus that is very light, simple (none of the plugins, attachments, etc.) that is exclusively intended for "Automatic private browsing" for mobile devices (phones and tablets). It's fast and works well, but it doesn't have any bells and whistles - just type in a web site and go. Not for everything or everyone, but it's much faster than Google Chrome on my phone.

2. Firefox Nightly - again, I've been using it on my phone as well as my computer. A few months ago it was crashing fairly often on the phone, but since I've participated in testing it (and presumably they've received a few, possibly A LOT) of dumps from my system, the failures and crashes are much more infrequent, and again, the performance on the phone over the Google Chrome that comes with Android is easily noticed in much quicker access to frequent sites I use, particularly on the phone. I've used Firefox Nightly often on Linux distributions too and it's also improved.

3. Occasionally there are things that Chrome will do better, and in those cases, I use it, whether on a distribution or on a phone. I can remember when Chrome was new. It was really light and fast. These days, those advantages are long gone, and the advantages, if any, are that it is quite powerful. The disadvantages are that it "knows too much". If I WANT it to know my habits, then fine, but if I get tired of it tracking my every move, that's when I look for other options. The Mozilla offerings (Firefox, Seamonkey, Thunderbird) seem a bit more respectful, at least giving you choices over how much you permit them to know and use to "assist" you (and fund them) in what they do.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:11 pm   
Linux Guru

Now available in Arch, and in Debian SID

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm   
Linux Guru

I'm using Firefox 57 on a couple different systems at this point and it's definitely a positive change, though Firefox has been steadily improving for at least 4-5 major releases, so the difference between Firefox 56 and Firefox 57 isn't earth shattering, but it's a really solid application with a more modern interface, a solid back end and more efficient infrastructure without a doubt.

I've been using Firefox MOST, believe it or not on my phone. I find it faster than any Chrome variation even if Google is the manufacturer of the majority of the software on the phone.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:53 pm   
Linux Guru

I'm actually not a giant fan of Firefox 57 on the phone. I feel that it takes up more screen space. Not sure that's actually TRUE...but it feels it to me. I still use it, but nowhere near as happy with it as on hte desktop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:03 pm   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
I'm actually not a giant fan of Firefox 57 on the phone. I feel that it takes up more screen space. Not sure that's actually TRUE...but it feels it to me. I still use it, but nowhere near as happy with it as on hte desktop.

I don't know what you see that's different unless you are comparing capabilities on desktop versus the phone. Sure, all of the browsers have more capabilities in their full implementations.

I've been using primarily Firefox Nightly on my MOTO G5 Plus smartphone, so the actual version that I am currently using with Nightly is 59.0a1, (2017-11-21). I also have Firefox (now 57.0), Firefox Focus, as well as the Google Chrome that came with the base system. By the way, one REALLY NICE thing about the MOTO G5 Plus is that it came equipped with ONLY the core Android operating system and a very small list of applications that did NOT include what either my ISP, Verizon Wireless, wanted to include or what the hardware vendor, Motorola (Lenovo) or the local phone distributor would include. I ordered the phone and had to add what I wanted.

The main difference from my viewpoint between each of these browsers, and it's not a huge difference, is that Google Chrome is probably the fattest and heaviest resource consumer of the bunch. Firefox Focus is easily the lightest of the bunch, but you literally have to type in everything, every time with Focus. It's two main benefits are that it is very light and fast and it leaves no visible "bread crumbs", such as cache, config files, or any other garbage behind, so it's a nice secure environment. It can be a bit of a pain because at times it's nice to have various things "remembered" as long as you are not paranoid about what's left on your system.

Visually, in terms of footprint on the page, not much difference between any of them; for the most part all of them can display the same things. Firefox Focus, because it limits information, has occasional restrictions, so when I see those, I use Firefox. Most of the time, unless I get a really crappy daily build that continually crashes and restarts I use Firefox Nightly. Over the past two months, I have seen more failures and restarts than I'd ever seen before, but ONLY in the mobile phone version. I rarely encounter serious usability issues otherwise, hardly ever on the desktop version and now that those issues are resolved, it's been at least a couple weeks since I've noticed any instability at all; not a bad price to pay for being able to test a cutting edge piece of software - and only "report back" or "phone home" when there is an issue.

Profile WWW YIM