It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 am

Firefox 4 beta

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 am   

Yeah I saw that on reddit earlier - it seems more like they just plan on releasing 5.0 6.0 and 7.0 instead of 4.1 4.2 and 4.3 lol...seems more like numbering than some huge change in development to me. That does sound like an overly optimistic / aggressive release schedule for those features though - we'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 am   
Linux Guru

I saw someone the other day still belly aching about Firefox 4.0 Beta 10, but I have a few distros with Beta 10, and even one with Beta 11. It is shaping up well. It is significantly faster than 3.6.13, both on initial startup and in rendering pages. I don't see it orders of magnitude slower, bigger, or deficient in any way to Google's Chrome, except in one respect: once Firefox was the innovator, lately Firefox has been playing catch up. I think that Mozilla ought to be thinking of a few things going forward: 1. An increasingly large percentage of Internet access is going to be 100% mobile, whether in a car device, a smartphone, tablet, netbook, whatever form factor it is, it is likely to be mobile. 2. Another sector that is quite likely to emerge at last, and sometime soon, are increasing numbers of large display systems that are connected to a complete home entertainment system, with surround sound, large LCD or Plasma display, TV/Cable, Internet, and undoubtedly voice, phone, video, the works. They ought to cover both of these spaces and lead the charge in creating specs, research, and so forth. 3. The status quo won't just go away; we'll still have desktops and laptops for years, but they will gradually dwindle as the percentage of the two alternatives above grow. In time, laptops and desktops will be more business devices, less and less at home, replaced by a combo of home entertainment system and mobile units that virtually everyone has. We are awful close to this model now, just imagine it in two to three years. Mozilla had better get busy if they even want to be there. You know Google will get there!

Brian Masinick
Distros: MX-17, antiX, Debian

Profile WWW YIM