Register
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am

AntiX 17 has been released

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm   
Linux Guru

NEW • Distribution Release: antiX 17

"The antiX distribution is a lightweight operating system based on Debian. The project's latest release, antiX 17, is based on Debian 9.2 and removes the systemd init software in favour of SysV init. "antiX comes in four flavours for both 32- and 64-bit processors. antiX-full: 4 windows managers - IceWM (default), Fluxbox, JWM and herbstluftwm plus full LibreOffice suite. antiX-base: 4 windows managers - IceWM (default), Fluxbox, JWM and herbstluftwm. antiX-core: no X, but should support most wireless. antiX-net: no X, Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build. So what is included? Lots! Explore! Based on Debian Stretch, but without systemd and libsystemd0. eudev 3.2-4 replaces udev. Customised 4.10.5 kernel with fbcondecor splash. LibreOffice 5.2.7-1. Firefox-ESR 52.4.0esr. Claws-Mail 3.14.1-3+b1. systemd-free CUPS for printing. XMMS for audio. GNOME-MPlayer for playing video..." Additional information can be found in the project's release announcement.

Read the article at http://distrowatch.com/10004 or at https://antixlinux.com/antix-17-released/

You can also get discs at https://www.osdisc.com/products/antix if you prefer - I'm gonna grab one that way, then I don't have to spend the time to download it. I've recently been getting USB products from OS Disc and they're just as good as the CDs and DVDs I've purchased many times from them, but if you keep your own media available you can download instead. Personally, I just ordered the 32 GB 64-bit USB version @ https://www.osdisc.com/products/antix/a ... 64bit.html - with standard shipping they usually deliver in 3-5 business days; I've never seen it take longer than that.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm   
Linux Guru

I'm a big fan of antiX and it's derivative, MX and I always get each of them. I use antiX and MX quite often. Having the USB means I can run it from the USB or from the installed image.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:56 pm   
Linux Guru

I should be receiving the USB I ordered for antiX 17 from OSDisc in the next day or two. Meanwhile I downloaded the antiX 17 "Base" image and loaded it on USB and I have tried it out. You can STILL run a 32-bit version of antiX if you have old hardware, but antiX also now supports newer 64-bit distributions (and has had the support for some time now).

I've had consistently good success running this distribution, but it's actually the old 32-bit systems I still have where this distribution comes in particularly handy. It works fine on the 64-bit Dell Inspiron 5558 too, but it's more important to have available on the 32-bit Lenovo 3000 Y410 and Gateway 2000 PA6A, both of which are nearly a decade old and run only 32-bit software. The number of systems that still work on these two trusty old systems is starting to fade. I have a few distributions still on them that I've eventually have to remove completely. Right now they still work, but I don't rely on them because they no longer get updated, and that's why I'll be removing them. Then again, I don't use those systems often; they'll typically powered off.

AntiX and MX in particular are still reasonably responsive on these old systems, and Debian still performs fairly well too. Other distributions, such as PCLinuxOS, if I remember correctly, have dropped their 32-bit support over the past 1-2 years.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 pm   
Linux Guru

I did receive the OSDisc order for both antiX 17 "Full" and openSUSE 42.3 Tumbleweed (the "Rolling update" rather than the "Leap" release).

I have not installed either of them yet, but I did try out the antiX 17 "Full" when booting with UEFI (not secured) enabled. The only option I was able to use that would present the runlevel 5 Graphical User Interface (GUI) was the "Failsafe" option, which is consistent with what I've seen in comments on the antiX 17 Forum, and also in the "EFI BIOS questions" topic in the Linux Questions Forum.

The past couple of times I have tried to install or reinstall anything - Debian 9.2.1, openSUSE 42.3 Leap, antiX 16.2, or antiX 17, I've run into problems where the installation hung before reaching the GUI. Sometimes I am able to get past this, provided I boot using S to first enter Single User mode, then press Ctrl-D, supply the root password, and then enter telinit 5 to start the multi-user graphical user interface (GUI). Until recently I've not had to do this, but ever since I've been experimenting with various boot settings, I've apparently messed something up, possibly either in the firmware or the boot loader.

I've got some work to do to clean it all up. I'm still able to boot systems that I have not modified recently (without having to perform any extra steps), so it's new entries that have been affected by whatever I've inadvertently modified. Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce, PCLinuxOS (any window manager or desktop environment that I have installed), MX-16.1, and Fedora 26 appear to boot normally. I have not changed any of their boot settings or reinstalled these distributions in the past month.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 pm   
. . . .

masinick wrote:
The past couple of times I have tried to install or reinstall anything - Debian 9.2.1, openSUSE 42.3 Leap, antiX 16.2, or antiX 17, I've run into problems where the installation hung before reaching the GUI.
No error messages at all? Somewhere in Debian-dervied land, I read here is a boot option to disable parts of the boot time graphic overlay so you can see the error messages. Probably was on the Ubuntu-Mate forum, but I'm not inclined to research matter at the 8 or so forums I joined over the last 2 months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:51 pm   
. . . .

Antix 17 for 32 bit was just installed onto the EeePC 900A, still too early to say anything more than 'it boots to a window manager of my choosing'. Need to use it for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm   
Linux Guru

mmmna wrote:
masinick wrote:
The past couple of times I have tried to install or reinstall anything - Debian 9.2.1, openSUSE 42.3 Leap, antiX 16.2, or antiX 17, I've run into problems where the installation hung before reaching the GUI.
No error messages at all? Somewhere in Debian-dervied land, I read here is a boot option to disable parts of the boot time graphic overlay so you can see the error messages. Probably was on the Ubuntu-Mate forum, but I'm not inclined to research matter at the 8 or so forums I joined over the last 2 months.

I haven't gone into the boot logs or anywhere else to research this yet, but I do want to get all of this right.

On my old 32 bit hardware, antiX - any release, has always worked GREAT and never ever presented me with any problems. MX-16 still holds that kind of track record, but I've been having issues with the past couple of distributions that I've installed. I am *guessing* at this point that the root of my issue is that the various distributions have been installed with different methods.

openSUSE and Fedora were the first two distributions that I had success using UEFI as it was INTENDED to be used - with the SECURE UEFI boot enabled. The reason that is the case is that they are among the few distributions that include the secure, signed certificate. They both use the "Shim" and whatever else goes with it, but the bottom line is that you can use UEFI as it was originally designed with Fedora or openSUSE. Other distributions claim to use the GUID - GPT file system that goes with UEFI and they'll support a measure of UEFI capabilities, but they don't do much more than that, and as a result, if you multi-boot like I do, you can easily end up with a big mess.

UPDATE RE: "The past couple of times I have tried to install or reinstall anything - Debian 9.2.1, openSUSE 42.3 Leap, antiX 16.2, or antiX 17, I've run into problems where the installation hung before reaching the GUI."

I will follow up on this in the "Whatever topic".

Roderick Smith - see Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux goes into a lot of detail to explain this stuff, and I'm planning to spend some more time with this, and maybe EVENTUALLY master this stuff.

He also created a tool called rEFInd, and another one called rEFIt - (note the "EFI" in both tools), that might be useful to some people who want to figure this stuff out, so I offer it to anyone coming along who may have to do battle with EFI / UEFI, now or in the future.

Last edited by masinick on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm   
Linux Guru

As noted on Rod's page: Adam Williamson has written a good summary of what EFI is and how it works.
See "Red Hat's Adam Williamson explains how EFI works".

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 am   
. . . .

masinick wrote:
As noted on Rod's page: Adam Williamson has written a good summary of what EFI is and how it works.
See "Red Hat's Adam Williamson explains how EFI works".

Need to bookmark this, as I will likely be embarking on a search for my next 'bog basic but has to last 10 years' PC.I won't be getting a BIOS system, fer sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 pm   
Linux Guru

I *have* to use UEFI on my 64-bit systems due to the size of the disk - 8 GB. Old firmware support gets flakey as the size increases. There is some capability to go a little bit beyond the addressable size 2**32 - 1, but not much. 64-bit provides a much larger address space but the tool had to be either rewritten or updated to support 64-bits. They chose to write a new interface, which included a new type of filesystem interface - GPT and UEFI.

For those interested in the explanation of the terms and the background behind them, refer to MSDN and Wikipedia

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:49 am   
. . . .

Antix 16.2 for AMD64 started having a 'problem of the week' on my main desktop, despite a strong initial showing. The last 2 trouble items were Alsa being set up with a default configuration file which refused to allow mixer to raise sound (find it, delete it, restart, all is good), and then the media card reader wouldn't see freshly installed media unless I had booted with a media card in that slot, and only that slot would work. That is related to not populating and configuring the /dev matrix in a manner which dynamically supports removeables. Antix 17 was unable to boot after installation, and looked like it was going to be a haul to get straightened out. Another time, perhaps.