Register
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am

Delll Latitude 7490

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:49 pm   
Linux Guru

Found brand new in box (according to the auction) Latitude 7490 on ebay less than $700 shipped. Seller seems legit, and the specs on the laptop are pretty nice. i5-8350u, this is a kaby lake refresh, so still a ULV 15w TDP chip, but now is QUAD CORE hyperthreaded. 8 GB ram, 256 GB NVME SSD, 1080P 14" IPS. So I've got that on the way. Sold the E7470. Used paypal no interest for 6 months financing...just in case it IS a scam, I'll be able to get the purchase refunded and will never have a penny leave my actual accounts! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:15 am   
Linux Guru

got it in. VERY nice. Lightweight, slender, good looking. Stopped by Fry's Electronics on the way home and picked up a 8 GB DDR4 SODIMM to bring it up to 16 GB. Pulled the stock 128 GB NVME SSD and put in my m.2 SATA 1 TB SSD (yeah, slower connection, but the 1 TB will still be faster than a 128 GB NVME). Installed Debian.

Had some issues at first, the touchpad worked perfectly as well as tapping, but the trackpoint & it's buttons didn't work at all (tested them in windows at work, knew the hardware worked) and the physical touchpad buttons were off. After a LOT of troubleshooting, got it working by installing the backports kernel. Now touchpad buttons work as intended, the trackpoint works, and the trackpoint buttons work. This has a Qualcomm 802.11AC card, works with the firmware, drivers were in the default kernel. I ordered an Intel 9260 AC chip though, as it has BT 5.0 instead of 4.1 as this card does. Also ordered one of the 9260's for my E7450.

Overall, SUPER happy with this laptop. Works out of the box with Debian if you use the backports kernel. And the cpu, 8350u is FAST. Quad core hyperthreaded but still only 15 watt TDP, so capable of 8 simultaneous threads. Only 1.7 GHz, but...8 simultaneous threads in a low power laptop!!

My E7450 may have finally met it's match.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 pm   
Site Admin

Wow....... that was one heck of a price !!!!! :D

Zbook (Laptop)- Mint 18 64-bit - I7-4800mq - 32GB ram
Phantom (Desktop)- Mint 64-bit - i7-5770 - 32GB ram
Nas4Free (NAS) - 6X3TB File Server.
Sky (HP BladeCenter) - 16 blades - 536 GB ram-G7/G6/G5 blades.

Profile WWW  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:37 am   
Linux Guru

Yeah, I SUPER thought it was a scam when the auction closed at $670 + $20 shipping. I even messaged the seller to ask if they were legit before sending payment. And still sent payment as I did because even after they responded saying they were legit I wasn't TOTALLY convinced...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:19 am   
Linux Guru

Discovered when I loaded the firmware for the Intel 9260 card (not yet supported by the Debian firmware-iwlwifi package) I forgot the Bluetooth firmware. Fixed that today, nice to have a fully functioning machine now. Despite the slow frequency of this chip (1.7 GHz), being quad core it FEELS SO much faster than any other laptop I've owned recently, including the quad core (but not hyperthreaded) E5470 that I had.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 pm   
Linux Guru

@Tim: So you had to download the firmware for the 9260 card. Did you have to do this on another system and "sneaker-net" it over, or did you still have another way to access a broadband network from wherever you run this system (presumably mostly at home)?

My Dell Inspiron 5558, at some point, seems to have "lost" it's access to the network card that provides Ethernet services - my guess is that the hardware card failed. The hardware boot process definitely seems notably slower, but the system, which I am using now, works fine with WiFi (fortunately).

Profile WWW YIM  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm   
Linux Guru

Since the Lenovo with the same wireless card HAD already gotten the firmware updates, I just copied the firmware from that machine to my NAS, then plugged into the ehternet and copied it over to this machine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 pm   
Linux Guru

tlmiller wrote:
Since the Lenovo with the same wireless card HAD already gotten the firmware updates, I just copied the firmware from that machine to my NAS, then plugged into the Ethernet and copied it over to this machine.

Cool, I've had to do similar things on a few of my systems over the years.

Profile WWW YIM